Myss Terrie's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Myss Terrie's Forum

Myss Terrie's forum is the online haven for members of the MOUL bevin, where we chat about life, the universe -- and everything.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Yeesha, Garden Ages and Linking Books

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Azaia
Azaia

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Yeesha, Garden Ages and Linking Books Empty
PostSubject: Yeesha, Garden Ages and Linking Books   Yeesha, Garden Ages and Linking Books Sm-compass50Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:50 pm

ILLUME

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:43 pm Post subject: Yeesha, garden ages, and linking books.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question-
If the D'ni wrote the garden ages, and the linking books we use to get to all our ages, why are Yeesha symbols so prevalent? In Kemo, there is a Yeesha symbol inlaid (apparently some type of metal..silver, perhaps) right into the stone where you link in. Also in Kemo, at the "cross roads," there is a granite monolith, with a Yeesha symbol inlaid on all 4 sides. There is also a Yeesha symbol inlaid on the floor of the Cleft "imager" room.

There are Yeesha symbols on every linking book we get in Aegura. All the books in the museum, and all the books in the library. Same with the books in the Watcher's pub, and the books in the Baron city office. Same with all the bahro stones.

In fact, the only things that link that don't have a Yeesha symbol on them are the Bevin book, nexus book, and inexplicably, the cleft book. Oh, also, Phil's Relto book doesn't appear to have a Yeesha symbol on it. Hmm, his relto book doesn't even look like a relto book, but that's another story.

How did all these Yeesha symbols get on all these things? I find it difficult to believe that the D'ni wrote all these ages, and just happened to put Yeesha symbols on them...

Particularly interested in what Kaelri and Dimitrios have to say about this, though everyone's opinions are more than welcome.

ps- will edit this post, as I travel around, if I discover more items that do or don't have Yeesha symbols on them.

ms. isis

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:41 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suspect that Yeesha, since she knows how to write the books also, could have done something like Atrus did. You see indications of this in his Riven journals, where he tried to write corrections into the book for Riven that Gehn messed up. I believe he did this in an attempt to keep the age stable while the Stranger gets to Catherine within the age.

quote: "They held for more than thirty years, but the corrections I made to Riven have finally failed - the island has resumed the familiar pattern of decay that is the hallmark of my father's work."

I think the ages with her mark are significant to take note of. We are supposed to follow her, and this may be her way of leading us on the right path.
KI#06167776
elpis (Friends of the Fissure)
KI#09853290
Former visitor:
Myst Isis

I want people to laugh and cry, not just sit and stare at the TV.
Michael Landon

Yodar

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:24 pm Post subject:

maybe the mark is allready used before Yeesha used it. A general symbol maybe. And used by lotsa diffrent age creators.

Dimitrios

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:12 pm Post subject:

Interesting thoughts from an interesting person.Welcome back buddie.
i will search ,read and think and i will write my thoughts about the subject.

Shorah Dimitrios

ILLUME

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:47 am Post subject:

Yodar wrote:
maybe the mark is allready used before Yeesha used it. A general symbol maybe. And used by lotsa diffrent age creators.

An excellent thought, Yodar. The only problem is, that the symbol spells "Yeesha," unless I am much mistaken. I've been mistaken in the past, so i can not say i am not mistaken now. But, I did get the D'ni alphabet and look, and the symbols appear to spell the name Yeesha.

ILLUME

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:51 am Post subject:

ms. isis wrote:
I suspect that Yeesha, since she knows how to write the books also, could have done something like Atrus did. You see indications of this in his Riven journals, where he tried to write corrections into the book for Riven that Gehn messed up. I believe he did this in an attempt to keep the age stable while the Stranger gets to Catherine within the age.

quote: "They held for more than thirty years, but the corrections I made to Riven have finally failed - the island has resumed the familiar pattern of decay that is the hallmark of my father's work."

I think the ages with her mark are significant to take note of. We are supposed to follow her, and this may be her way of leading us on the right path.

Hi, Ms. Isis. You bring up an interesting point. I do recall that Atrus affected Riven. When I played Riven, I had no idea how linking and age writing worked. I'm still not clear, in my mind, on how Atrus (or Yeesha) could affect an age, as opposed to writing a link to a similar age, since supposedly, writing a link doesn't create an age, only link to it.
*shrugs* it would make more sense to my brain, if age writers could actually create an age, instead of only link to one that already exists.

Yodar

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:18 am Post subject:

heh ok illume didnt know that yeesha is written in the symbol.

About linking age creating.
I think that the link shifts to another almost similiar world. (with the only diffrence the added corrections)

If I recall correclty. In the book of atrus, Ghen corrected an age and when Atrus linked there none of the age population knew Atrus anymore.
But this contradicts I guess with the correction of Riven, since Catherine still knew Atrus.
But this is maybe because Ghen corrects an age by creating a link to a better world while Atrus corrects an age by correcting the flaws instead of creating a new Link.

Which brings us back to your original question

ms. isis

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:20 pm Post subject:

I'm guessing the answers to a lot of the gaps in our knowledge here can be found in the Book of Atrus. It's the only one of the three I haven't been able to read yet, and supposedly it's the most informative one.
KI#06167776
KI#09853290
Former visitor:
Myst Isis

Michael Landon

ms. isis

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:57 pm Post subject:

I haven't had time to completely read this yet, but it may provide some more information on the subject. Richard A. Watson letter on writing the books.

http://www.dnidesk.com/rawalink97.html
KI#06167776
KI#09853290
Former visitor:
Myst Isis

Michael Landon

Dimitrios

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:43 pm Post subject:

First of all sorry for my late answer. (hehe who am i ..i am a genius )
First the easy part for me, the symbols inside the ages (not the book symbols) must be created by Yeesha during her journeys there .
How? i believe that Yeesha is the owner of all the descriptive books untill now.
Then she wrote some changes at those descriptive books and because of that she changed not the age but the age that the new descriptive book links to(a brand new age).
So i believe she did that because her purpose was and is to teach us about the dark side of d'ni history ofcourse, but maybe also she did it when she felt very powerful (proud) for a while.(myst5 yeesha's speeches and journals).
PS: i forgot to mention at the beggining the fact ofcourse that d'ni civilization destroyed before Yeesha so the ages after that werent occupied by anyone and most of the books were in city.

Second subject : Yeesha's symbols on the books. lol i like that lol
For the fact that i cant be sure about why (for which i am )i will try to use mathematics to answer this question.(do you believe that i am starting to act like Dr Watson who knows things? if yes i am for what you believe and i am wondering but but how...?)

ok
hood book ...........vs............... book's of all the ages
nexus book ..........vs........ ............ -//-
cleft book ........vs......... ............. -//-
Phil's relto book ......vs........ Phil (obvious reasons )

the answer must be is the difference between the above
what are the differences ?
The answer that i have in my mind and my very complicated mathematics are proving to me is :hold tight

The only difference that the above have (excluding Phill relto book ,for obvious reasons (thanks buddie ) is:

Cleft linking (not descriptive)book is linking to the age of Earth (which remained unchanged by Yeesha,otherwise it would have been impossible for her to find us.(the explanation is on my thoughts for the first question)

Nexus and hood books again for the above reason (the city of d"ni is unchanged ,by the way have you found a single symbol in the city or in the cavern which includes Kveer ,nexus ,city,neighboorhood ? i dont remember any )

All the other age linking books have her symbol because they link to the new descriptive age that Yeesha wrote (using a compeltely new book) or create (actually she didnt create any new age ,but change where the descriptive books link now = to a same age in parallel universe that has some slightly differences with the original age that the original wroten by d'ni writers descriptive book linked (led )) because of her small changes that she had made to the descriptive books that she owns (darn i am good ) and the symbol has in my opinion in both cases (creation or changment) the meaning (yeesha's creation).
Of course as you can easily understand the linking books have the same symbol or because Yeesha create brand new linking books for her ages or the symbols created automatically because of the changes she did (which is what i believe by the way).
And thats why i believe that the linking books automatically changed:
In the book of Atrus i found a very interesting conversation between Kehn and Atrus: "
Atrus: "but what if you change the Age? What if you decide to write more in the descriptive book? Whould the Linking book cease to work?"
Kehn: "No.If the descriptive book is changed ,then all Linking books associated with it will link to the changed world."
Cool eh? of course that means that the change that Yeesha made to the descriptive books (the added words or symbols) include her symbol
And finally maybe her symbol means something deeper than we know
But for that i am not able (for now ) to give you my opinion maybe you ,my friend, could help.

Thats all
Thank you buddie because of your thoughts i discover understand and realise some things that i have never thought about them.
Ps: are you in cavern or not because i can not see you anywhere
shorah to all my friends in bevin and in cavern
Back to top Go down

Yeesha, Garden Ages and Linking Books
Page 1 of 1