Myss Terrie's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Myss Terrie's Forum

Myss Terrie's forum is the online haven for members of the MOUL bevin, where we chat about life, the universe -- and everything.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Myss Terrie
Admin
Admin
Myss Terrie

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-06-16

We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators Empty
PostSubject: We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators   We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators Sm-compass50Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:07 pm

Moving from the old forum to the new one is a big job. Ms. isis has been an absolute angel in all her work with getting the structure set-up. Of course, we could just let the two of us (being me and isis) move EVERYTHING from the old site to the new one, but it sure would be a neighborly gesture if folks would undertake the moderator function.

It really isn't any more terrifying than doing death leaps off the bridge in Aegura to grab that last pesky marker. For now each mods would be responsible for one category on the forum, going through the posts on the old forum and moving the posts from the old to the new.

While the ideal would be to move every single post ever posted, many of them (let's be honest) are simply "attaboys" and "right-ons" and "youbetchas." We could do with some judicious editing. And I trust you with making good choices on valuable thread continuity and information. If need be, a mod could condense a series of short agreements with the names of the posters in the "aye" column and the full posts of those in disagreement.

Could I get some volunteers please?
Back to top Go down
http://www.webmousepublications.com
Azaia
Azaia

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators   We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators Sm-compass50Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:25 pm

I'd be willing to help out if someone could walk/talk me through what needs to be done. Can't say how long or frequently I could help out. affraid but I'm willing to give it the old college try. bounce
Back to top Go down
Myss Terrie
Admin
Admin
Myss Terrie

PostSubject: Re: We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators   We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators Sm-compass50Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:47 pm

Right now I need folks to take charge of one category of the old forum -- or even one sub-forum -- and move the contents from there to here. The easiest way to do this is to copy (ctrl + c) all the posts in a thread and then paste (ctrl + v) the contents into a new post here.

Then you need to do a little editing because all the buttons and smilies and other do-dads will appear as text. Just cut those bits of text out. Adding a dividing line between posts helps as well.

An example can be seen under Scriveners where I have moved a couple of threads already. It is not that complicated, but it will be very tedious because MTs forum is so vast and so old and has so much in it. That's why I am asking for help. If every member of the forum moves just a few threads we can have everything here in no time.

I realize this is a big undertaking -- and I am in no way diminishing the work that Dedhed has done in structuring and maintaining the site at createforum.net. It is just that the service's inclusion of ads inside posts has become impressively annoying, and I heard from several folks that the ads were diminishing the "quality of life" at the old forum.

Your help will be deeply appreciated.
Back to top Go down
SeanMc74
SeanMc74

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators   We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators Sm-compass50Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:34 pm

Count me in, I'm willing to help. I know I've been away for awhile been busy with work and school.

Now I have free time so let me know what you need and I'll do it.
Back to top Go down
Myss Terrie
Admin
Admin
Myss Terrie

PostSubject: Re: We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators   We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators Sm-compass50Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:20 am

ms. isis is our lead expert of forum moving, so perhaps she will have some better ideas on handling this. Az and Sean, if there is a part of the old forum that you would like to tackle just say which and it is yours. By assigning specific areas to specific people we will not have duplication of effort and we will maintain continuity as well.

Old threads need editing, so I recommend that you copy/paste the entire text into a word processor and cut all the button commands and smilies (they appear as text), as well as posts that do not provide information. You could summarize the latter as "Dedhed, Inanna, and Charura all posted agreement." I trust you to maintain the humor, the character, the flavor of the thread. If you take on moving a forum thread you will be totally on top of everything that has gone before in that area and therefore in a good position to moderate future discussion on the same topic. If the area you move is a topic that will just be archived, then feel free to take on moderating an active forum. The forum topics are those that appear in the list when you first log onto the site here. The Community Room, Current Events and Gossip are the most active areas and will require the most attention. /Shout has the greatest potential for controversial speech and therefore may need a close eye. Take on only as much as you can handle. We have many members -- even now while the Cavern is closed -- so lets spread the work, like the love, around.

Some threads may not need to be kept -- those that discuss specifics of a party, for instance. Your call. To me the most important threads form the knowledge base -- chat logs of important events, our collected wisdom on the Bahro, age puzzles, and of course the wonderful speculations on what it all means. (I guess that means all the posts by Dimitrios, Illuvatar and Gandhar need special care Very Happy )

I am covering all the forum info about age guiding. I am taking the guide materials from the old forum and crafting them into Field Guides (FGs) that will be posted online in La Casa's web-library. I will then post the direct links here on the forum so that you will still be able to access the information from here. I will make FGs for all ages -- MOUL and CC/POTS -- and note wherever possible where the solo and live versions differ. I will need folks to proofread the FGs, to make sure that I have covered all the details. Please let me know if you find typos, factual errors or problematic descriptions. Unlike other online walk-thrus, the FGs are divided into pages with warnings in red of upcoming spoilers, so that readers have a choice of how much they see and when they see it.

Here is the link to the Field Guide to Eder Tsogal and Eder Delin -- although I still need a working link to Richard Wakefield's practice program. If possible I would like to copy the program to my website so I can make sure it stays available. I have completed FGs for Kadish and Ahnonay, but am having trouble sorting out the links. La Casa's library is open to everyone -- no membership required -- and by posting direct links you do not have to travel across the New Mexico desert to get there, unless of course you want to.

So have a look and let me know what you want to do.
Back to top Go down
SeanMc74
SeanMc74

PostSubject: Re: We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators   We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators Sm-compass50Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:31 pm

I'm a moderator for the Current events and Personals sections on the old forum. I could do the same for this one if need me too.

I will work on coping over the threads from those 2 sections.
Back to top Go down
Myss Terrie
Admin
Admin
Myss Terrie

PostSubject: Re: We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators   We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators Sm-compass50Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:35 pm

Ok, Sean has staked out his territory and we leave him in charge of those areas here. I will set the permissions accordingly.

Next volunteer?
Back to top Go down
SeanMc74
SeanMc74

PostSubject: Re: We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators   We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators Sm-compass50Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:49 pm

I'll do my best.
Back to top Go down
ms. isis
Admin
Admin
ms. isis

Number of posts : 398

PostSubject: Re: We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators   We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators Sm-compass50Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:45 pm

oops sorry! I've been very busy and trying to keep an eye here for new sign-ups and posts daily, but somehow missed that Myss Terrie wanted me to step in.

Thanks, Sean and Azaia, for taking initiative here. You're doing a great job. When you look at the posts on the old forum, determine whether they are active still or if they will be needed once we're in the cavern again. Old posts that won't be needed again don't have to be cross-posted. If you're not sure about a posting, you can either ask or just cross-post it. We can always delete the old, un-needed ones during the clean up days.

It would be helpful to announce when you're finished with a section so we know not to mess with it anymore.

I'll be back here soon, and I can do the Library section, since I took the initiative and split it up on my own.
Back to top Go down
Myss Terrie
Admin
Admin
Myss Terrie

PostSubject: Re: We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators   We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators Sm-compass50Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:10 pm

We seem to be getting a lot of "new members" on the other forum with very suspicious names. I suspect the bots are at it again. We can of course delete access to anyone who does not turn out to be a real person. A good clue is the number of members in places like Romania, etc.
Back to top Go down
ms. isis
Admin
Admin
ms. isis

Number of posts : 398

PostSubject: Re: We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators   We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators Sm-compass50Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:44 am

I've been deleting them as I see them pop up. Keeping a list at desk in case anyone comes forward too. I have been lazy for a little while ... and busy fishing and enjoying the weather with hubby on the weekend. I'll be sure to catch up tonight on it. I do have plans to be gone this weekend, so whatever bots come trolling around will show up.
Back to top Go down
Azaia
Azaia

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators   We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators Sm-compass50Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:34 pm

FYI The Community Room and Stories of the Marbled Fireplace have been completely moved. will start on the Gossip Column andlet you know when it's done. study

lol! lol! lol! Guess I already moved the Gossip Column guess I'm headed to Shout Outs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators   We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators Sm-compass50

Back to top Go down

We Need Help meaning We Need Moderators
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Myss Terrie's Forum :: Archival Vault :: Forum Archives-
Jump to: